These grounds are also known as Vitality Stadium for sponsorship. It acts as the football stadium and is the home base of one of England’s top football clubs AFC Bournemouth. This field has held other names in the past such as Goldsands Stadium, Fitness First Stadium and Seward Stadium. It is at Kings Park, Bournemouth in Dorset, BH7 7AF, England. The field measures one hundred and five meters by seventy-eight meters, and its surface is grass. Owned by Structadene, the area has a capacity of eleven thousand three hundred and sixty. It got opened in the year 1910 and underwent renovation in 2001. AFC Bournemouth has rented the place since 1910 until the present day. This field has a rich history appreciated by both the football clubs that use it as well as the spectators who flock to the stadium now and then to watch their favorite teams go head to head.
The History of this field
In the year 1910, the Boscombe Football Club received a parcel of land from the Cooper-Dean family which resided in Bournemouth. The field’s name gets derived from the family. The area which they got had long gotten used as a gravel pit, and by the time the 1910/11 season started, the football club had not had adequate time to prepare the land for a match. As such, Boscombe played at a parcel of land adjacent to the Dean Stadium for that season, the King’s Park. At the end of December 2010, the club was able to start playing at their stadium. However, they had not prepared the facilities for use by the players, and they would use a hotel in the vicinity to change before and after their games. At this point, the field had a stand which could fit three hundred spectators. The football club trudged on and played at the stadium as it were, and in the year 1923, they got to be in the Division Three South of the Football League, showing that their hard work was finally paying off. Having gotten elected to this division, Boscombe changed their name to Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic. On the 1st of September in 1923, the first ever Football League match got held at the Dean Court. Seven thousand spectators were in the stadium as they witnessed a draw between the home team and Swindon Town of 0-0.
After this game, more changes were made to the grounds to make them more attractive and to increase their holding capacity. Fittings got obtained from the British Empire Exhibition in Wembley, and these were used to construct a seat stand which could comfortably hold three thousand seven hundred people. A covered terrace was installed at the Southern End of the Stadium in 1936 to shield people from weather elements. The club continued to increase in both its prowess and fan base and the year 1948; they had a record attendance where twenty-five thousand four hundred and ninety-five people turned up to watch Bournemouth lose to QPR in a match that ended 1-0. In 1957, they had an even higher attendance with over twenty-eight thousand spectators showing up to watch the FA Cup match against Manchester United. After the match against Manchester United, a roof got installed at the Western Stand. Other developments at this point included the purchase of more land at the Northern end of the stadium. This added property would be used to enlarge the northern stand and build a recreational center. However, this development was not to be as the club ran out of funds during the process, and the plan got abandoned in 1984. The put up structure got demolished, and a housing unit got constructed in its stead. In 1986, the club recorded its lowest Football League attendance when only one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three people showed up for their match with Lincoln City.
In 2001, the stadium underwent a complete transformation when everything got reconstructed. The pitch got rotated at a right angle from its initial position, and the stadium moved further away from the surrounding housing projects. Once again, the work did not get completed on time, and as such, Bournemouth played eight games of the 2001/02 season at the Avenue Stadium. Dean Court opened in November 2001 as the Fitness First Stadium with a seating capacity of nine thousand six hundred. In 2005, the club sold the stadium to Structadene in a sale and leaseback deal. When the naming rights of the stadium got sold to Seward Motor Group, the group changed the stadium’s name to Seward Stadium in 2011 which got changed a year later to Goldsands Stadium. In 2013, a two thousand four hundred seat stand got added to the stadium, bringing the total seating capacity to over eleven thousand. This court remains the smallest in the Premier League and in a statement given in May 2016; the club stated that they would postpone any further developments to the site. They are reported to be looking for more significant grounds in the same location. Dean Court is a landmark when it comes to football heritage.